This is Part 2 in this week’s special series on maintaining efficient operations as more teams take operations online. Read Part 1 here & stay tuned for 3 on Thurs.
We at OspreyData want to do everything we can to help our customers respond and maintain steady progress in the wake of our global health crisis. We’re asking ourselves how lease operators, production engineers, and the control center can work together seamlessly – and now virtually – to manage and optimize the full field during this time.
For Part 2, let’s think about the middle of the day. How do engineers & operators stay vigilant about what’s happening in the field while tackling problems on a deeper level?
Here are some thoughts on how to maximize productive time during the day:
- Use tools at your fingertips to tackle problems as they occur, not after they happen.
- If you’re a Production Manager or part of the Control Center, dynamically coordinate with field personnel. Send task assignments to lease operators so they can mitigate downtime & maintain production levels. If capable, use remote device control on an asset before onsite mitigation is needed.
- Anyone who’s been in this business long enough knows problems occur 24/7, not just in the morning when you’re reading the daily production variance report. To help you stay on problems throughout the day, leverage a tool like OspreyData’s Production Analytics. Using a robust ensemble of algorithms and machine learning models, we alert you when high risk events occur.
- Use this extra time to conduct in-depth well reviews. Any production engineer knows periodic in-depth well reviews are part of the job. Unfortunately, these reviews oftentimes get put on the back burner. In the current climate where you can spend less time on the road, use this extra time in front of a monitor to look back and record rich histories for your wells.
- Review well settings. Well settings are not “set and forget” and settings such as motor frequency or open/close timers can become stale over time. Now is the perfect time to take a hard look to make sure wells are running optimally. Is it time to slow a pump down, or maybe speed it up? Maybe it’s time to switch lift types.
- Label and validate events within a Unified Monitoring solution. With the ability to comment, tag, and attach associated well files such as AFEs and workover procedures, these events create a rich history of the well. No more searching through emails or old files. With a solution like OspreyData’s Production Unified Monitoring, you can keep everything at your fingertips, making solving problems easier in the long run.
- Leverage the deep well & event history you’ve created to automate workflows. After you do the invaluable work of logging events and tracking insights on your wells’ performance, use this to enhance operations with your remote team and increase operational success.
- Review which procedures worked and didn’t work by accessing a well’s rich history. Establish standardized rules, workflows and procedures to prevent something from going wrong in the first place or to mitigate when it does.
- Establishing workflows can also help “the next man up.” Shorten the learning curve for your colleagues if you’re taken out of commission or if a new hire joins the team.
- Leverage machine learning (ML) to take it a step further. As ML models become more sophisticated, use this automation to trigger your workflows as events are detected. OspreyData’s Production Analytics helps you achieve this seamlessly across fields.
Can these ideas change your current ways of operating? Leave your feedback & questions in the comments!
Reach out to us to discuss ideas or learn more about OspreyData’s Production Intelligence solutions suite. You can implement our solutions on a grouping of wells to start or begin with your entire field.